Monday, July 04, 2011

Michael Bay - I just can't quit you

So I went to see Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon 3D over the weekend. I've seen every one of the movies in the series despite having absolutely no attachment to the franchise at all. I was too old to embrace the Transformers when they were first introduced and, quite honestly, I find the idea of hyper-advanced robots that transform into pickup trucks and tapedecks to be ridiculous. Yet, despite the mountain of criticism directed at him from many quarters and the lack of quality material to work with from either the source material or his actors, Michael Bay does one thing better than anyone in the business. He knows how to direct a kick-ass action sequence. If you can endure the interminable sections of the film in which Sam Witwicky (Shia Lebeouf) bemoans his miserable life (despite being on his second supermodel girlfriend), the payoff is well worth it, as the climactic battle sequence for the salvation of the human race is simply awesome. Disengage your brain and enjoy the eye candy.

-Rognar-

2 comments:

Obiri said...

Not having seen the third movie yet, I find it sadly pathetic that the animated movie from the 80s had more plot and character development then Bay's garbage films. I found the first one bad and the second truly revolting. For whatever reason I just don't find the transformers in the movies to be cool looking.

Rognar said...

One of my biggest complaints from the first two movies was that I had a really hard time telling Autobots from Decepticons. Except for the brightly-coloured Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, they all looked the same to me. I must not have been the only one with this problem because Michael Bay fixed it in the third movie. The Autobots were all very easy to tell from the much more numerous Decepticons this time around. It greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the action sequences.