Thursday, April 01, 2010

Rippin' on The World of Synnibarr

Always a favourite on the list of the worst tabletop rpgs of all time, The World of Synnibarr, written by Raven c.s. McCracken (one of real characters in the industry), has recently enjoyed a bit of a rehabilitation. This is largely because McCracken has buried the hatchet with some of his old foes and because some truly horrible and offensive games like F.A.T.A.L. and RaHoWa (I won't pollute my blog with links) have arisen to knock TWoS off its dubious perch. Despite this, Zack and Steve are, once again, merciless.

The World of Synnibarr

-Rognar-

By the way, that pic of McCracken, I totally looked like that, ca. 1985, even the cheesy 'stache. My budget for medieval arms and armour was much smaller, however.

3 comments:

Obiri said...

I've never even heard of this RPG before but the guys are right, the setting does have a soft of Riftsy ness to it.

Aaron E. Steele said...

I own a copy of this 'game'

Terrible, just terrible. It came to me as part of a larger collection. The rest of the collection was pretty good.

Joseph's 2 Cents said...

I bought a copy of this, started to read it, and realized I could NEVER play it. Reading it was like taking a psychedelic drug, it twisted your mind. I tried to see if there were some small element or character class I could use in another game, and then just gave up and put it away. It is something I go back to read on occasion just so I can appreciate other games more.